Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Wandering Star

Perusing the itunes store this morning I thought I'd take a listen to the "Monsieur Gainsbourg Revisited" tribute disc that I had seen a couple reviews of noting the high profile tracklisting. Indeed there are covers from Franz Ferdinand, Jarvis Cocker, Marc Almond, Sly & Robbie, Michael Stipe, Tricky, Placebo, Fiest and Portishead. I'm sorry, did I just say Portishead? This is the first studio track the trip hop legends have officially released in seven years (make that eight years if you don't count a track with Tom Jones on the vocals). Portishead did get a fair amount of attention a couple of months ago when they announced on their myspace that they were finally getting their third album together, but I hadn't seen a thing about this new track until it was released. Any new Portishead is cause for celebration!
The song is an English version of "Un Jour Comme Un Autre" originally performed by Anna Karina on the soundtrack of 1967's "Anna" which Serge Gainsbourg wrote the music for. It sounds exactly how you would expect Portishead to cover Gainsbourg except there's more guitar, lots of feedback and the track feels a bit short at 2:39. It's a good start, but I'm really looking forward to something with a little more musical meat on it. How much longer until the long promised new Portishead album is out?

No comments: