Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Things I've Learned (From NME)

I love NME because it's fairly good at getting me news about artists that interest me but it's not without it's faults. Here are a few things that caught my eye as being particularly newsworthy:

  • Alan McGee, the man who proclaimed a decade ago that the internet would kill record labels and started his current label as an internet-only venture, recently blogged that singles are a dead format and that major labels are at their end. Good to know that he's consistent.

  • Not only did the former Skabba The Hutt ride the coattails of The Killers new wave revival, but they're also following the new Bruce Springsteen influence that Brandon Flowers has been talking about by working with a noted Springsteen producer. I'm sure that once The Killers discuss recreating the doo-wop sound for their third album The Bravery will right there six months behind them once again.

  • The Who announced their first world tour in 20 years. I guess those constant tours from the late 90's on, like their 2002 tour that picked up weeks after the band's bassist died before a gig, have been "limited" somehow.

  • Pete Doherty is still on drugs.

  • After some 4,000 articles that mention him, NME is still addicted to Pete Doherty.

No comments: