Friday, July 01, 2005

Represent

Born and raised in beautiful San Jose, California my day got a bit better when I heard this news earlier today:

The U.S. Census Bureau announced that the South Bay city has overtaken Detroit to become the 10th largest city in the country, with a population estimated at 904,522. San Francisco continues to be in 14th place, with 744,230 residents.


: While I now live on the Peninsula now, I can't help feel a bit of family responsibility for this trend because my grandparents left Detroit in the late 50's to move with my mom to San Jose. Of course, why no one knows where San Jose probably stems from this part of the story:

The other cities in the top 10 all have high-profile sports teams. San Jose has only the Sharks -- who joined the rest of the National Hockey League in missing all of last season because of a lockout -- but for years has been trying to lure a Major League Baseball team from San Francisco or Oakland.


: Just in case you're into checking links I am well aware of the irony of using a San Francisco newspaper as my reference in a story about San Jose, but the Mercury News wants people to register to read their stories. At least they're not still charging $10 a month like they did when they first went online...

No comments: