Tuesday, July 26, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day 06: A Song That Reminds You Of Somewhere

The Wiseguy's "Start The Commotion" is forever linked with Disneyland in my mind.  First coming to my attention with "Ooh La La" on the Wall Of Sound compilation Bustin' Loose, which I played often during my college radio show, I had to come to think of The Wiseguys as being a strictly underground act in the US.  However, in 2001 when "Start The Commotion" was featured in the Zoolander soundtrack and re-released as a single something changed.  Maybe it was memories of Derek Zoolander performing a walk off or maybe it was a car commercial that shifted the climate but suddenly the song was an American top 40 hit.  On vacation in the happiest place on earth, where "Who Let The Dogs Out" was heard many times, I was exiting the park into Downtown Disney when the song played over the PA.  It suddenly sank in that they weren't just my underground band anymore.


No comments: